The Third Round of Heads Level Negotiations for the Agreement between Japan and the United Mexican States for the Strengthening of the Bilateral Economic Partnership
May 15th, 2003
- The Third Round of Heads Level Negotiations for the Agreement between Japan and the United Mexican States for the Strengthening of the Bilateral Economic Partnership was held in Mexico City on 15th May, 2003.
- The Japanese delegation was headed by Mr. Ryuichiro Yamazaki, Ambassador for International Trade and Economy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and representatives of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and other related ministries and agencies participated. The Mexican delegation was headed by Mr. Angel Villalobos, Under Secretary of International Trade Negotiation of the Ministry of Economy. The two delegations had discussions in a constructive manner.
- Both sides proceeded with evaluation and confirmation of the progress achived since the last Heads Level Negotiations which took place in Tokyo in Feburary, on one hand, and frankly discussed the concrete ways and measures to overcome the divergence of views and postions, in the course of negotiations, of both parties. Both sides recalled the joint announcement between Prime Minister Koizumi and President Fox stating that both governments should make maximum efforts to finish the negotiations in substance as soon as possible with a target of approximately one year period. Both sides shared the view that they should accelerate negotiations in order to meet this political mandate, and presented to the negotiating staffs at the Working Levels the working hypothesis with this regard.
- At this round, the Negotiations at the Working Levels were held back to back with the Heads Level Negotiations and took up various issues including draft texts of the agreement.
- Next round of the Heads Level Negotiations will be held in August in Tokyo.
Back to Index