Visit to Viet Nam by Minister for Foreign Affairs Koichiro Gemba (Overview)
Japan-Viet Nam foreign ministerial
Courtesy call on
H.E.Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung,
Prime Minister of Viet Nam
Joint Press Release
1. Schedule, etc.
(1) After attending ASEAN-related foreign ministers’ meetings in Phnom Penh in the Kingdom of Cambodia, Minister for Foreign Affairs Koichiro Gemba visited Hanoi in the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam on July 13 (Fri.) and July 14 (Sat.). He met with H.E.Mr. Pham Binh Minh, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Viet Nam, and the two foreign ministers jointly chaired a Japan-Viet Nam Cooperation Committee meeting that was attended by relevant ministries and agencies to discuss matters mainly in the field of economics. Foreign Minister Gemba paid courtesy calls to H.E.Dr. Nguyen Phu Trong, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, and H.E.Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister of Viet Nam.
2. Assessment and major results
(1) This was Foreign Minister Gemba’s first visit to Viet Nam since he assumed office, and it also marked his first meeting with Foreign Minister of Viet Nam.
(2) Based on the series of meeting and talks during the visit, Japan and Viet Nam affirmed their relationship of shared strategic interests as “Strategic Partners” and comprehensively deepened and developed the Japan-Viet Nam Strategic Partnership, centering on economic relations and including the areas of politics and security.
(3) Foreign Minister Gemba affirmed that Japan will continue to assist Viet Nam with many cooperation projects, including various infrastructure projects, such as development of rare earths industry and the construction of nuclear power plants. He also highly praised Viet Nam for its removal of restrictions on the import of processed food products from Japan. Japan and Viet Nam agreed to speed up preparations for the acceptance of Candidates of qualified nurses and certified careworkers from Viet Nam to Japan. The two countries also agreed in their views regarding defense cooperation and maritime safety. Furthermore, the countries agreed to proceed with a variety of Japan-Viet Nam cultural exchange projects for the Japan- Viet Nam Friendship Year in 2013, which will mark the 40th anniversary of the establishment of Japan-Viet Nam diplomatic relations, and they announced the logo mark for the Japan-Viet Nam Friendship Year.
3. Meetings, etc.
(1) Japan-Viet Nam foreign ministerial meeting
Japan-Viet Nam foreign ministerial meeting was held for approximately one hour starting at 9:00 a.m. on July 14. The ministers exchanged opinions regarding a wide range of topics concerning bilateral relations and the regional and international issues. In particular, the minister agreed to continue to actively move forward with mutual visits and proceed with cooperation and exchanges concerning maritime safety and defense.
(2) 4th meeting of the Japan-Viet Nam Cooperation Committee
The Japan-Viet Nam Cooperation Committee held a meeting for approximately two hours starting at 10:00 a.m. Mitsuyoshi Yanagisawa, Senior Vice Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry and other officials of relevant ministries and agencies of the two countries attended. Foreign Minister Gemba stated that Japan is cooperating with the Vietnamese government in regard to the formulation of Industrialization Strategy, and he expressed that Japan will continue to provide strong support for efforts to develop the economy of Viet Nam, including ODA activities aimed at infrastructural development. Foreign Minister Minh conveyed his appreciation for the ODA from Japan. The results are as stated in 2. (3) above.
(3) Courtesy call on H.E.Dr. Nguyen Phu Trong, General Secretary of the Communist Party of Viet Nam, and courtesy call on H.E.Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister of Viet Nam
It was affirmed that Japan and Viet Nam share strategic interests as “Strategic Partners,” and that the two countries will strengthen Japan-Viet Nam relations, centering on economic relations and including the areas of politics and security. Japan and Viet Nam also exchanged opinions regarding the regional and international issues and the promotion of people to people exchanges directed toward the Japan-Viet Nam Friendship Year.
(4) Talks with Japanese citizens residing in Viet Nam
Foreign Minister Gemba held talks with Japanese residents in Viet Nam such as relevant officials of Japanese companies operating in Viet Nam, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) experts. The participants in the talks exchanged opinions regarding the business environment in Viet Nam and the current status of Japan’s economic assistance.
Back to Index