Joint Press Release
4th Meeting of Japan-Thailand Joint Task Force on
The 120th Anniversary of Japan-Thailand Diplomatic Relations, 2007
On September 26, Japan and Thailand will celebrate the 120th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Amity and Commerce between Japan and Siam in 1887 in Tokyo, which established the diplomatic relations between the two countries.
Since the opening events at the beginning of this year, the governments of Japan and Thailand have organized various events and activities in close cooperation with the private sectors.
On September 25, the fourth meeting of Japan Thailand joint task force (JT120Taskforce) meeting was held in Tokyo, co-chaired by Mr. Jun-ichi Ihara, Deputy Director-General of Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, and Mr. Sompong Sanguanbun, Deputy Director-General of the Department of East Asian Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.
The meeting discussed commemorative events and activities and compiled a festive calendar of nearly 300 events, as attached herewith. The following is some of the information on the major events and activities;
(1) Anniversary day events will be held on September 26, the very day of signing of the Declaration of Amity and Commerce in the capitals of the two countries. The Government of Thailand, represented by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sawanit Kongsiri, will present, in the gracious presence of His Imperial Highness Prince Akishino, a Thai Pavilion to the people of Japan. Later in the evening the Japanese Steering Committee will organize a JAPAN ASEAN Festival Orchestra at the Thai Cultural Centre in Bangkok. Receptions in commemoration of the 120th Anniversary of Japan-Thailand Diplomatic Relations will be also held in Bangkok and Tokyo.
(2) On September 22, the Japanese side erected a statue in Bangkok. The statue was sculptured by Ryohei Miyata a Japanese sculptor and President of Tokyo University of Arts.
(3) The Japanese side will hold an economic symposium in November with a view to coming into effect of the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement.
(4) Japan Post and Thailand Post will issue commemorative stamps on September 26.
(5) The Japanese side is preparing to hold a large cultural event on December 8 in Bangkok as the grand finale of the exchange year. The event is to be composed of various Japanese festivals.
25 September 2007
Joint Festive Calendar for the 120th Anniversary of Japan-Thailand Diplomatic Relations, 2007 [PDF]
Back to Index