Joint Announcement on the Japan-ROK Summit Meeting
20 October 2003, Bangkok
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi held a summit meeting with President Roh Moo Hyun of the Republic of Korea on 20 October in Bangkok, Thailand. The two leaders agreed on the following in order to further strengthen the cooperation in the economic field as well as promoting exchange of people between the two countries.
1. Launch the negotiation for the conclusion of the Japan-ROK Free Trade Agreement (FTA)
(1) The leaders shared the view that the conclusion of the Japan-ROK FTA will expand the trade and investment between the two countries and promote mutual cooperation, thereby enhancing their bilateral relations and leading to the realization of mutual benefits.
(2) The leaders hence agreed that both governments will launch the negotiation for the conclusion of the FTA by the end of this year and make it a goal to effectively complete the negotiation in the year 2005.
(3) Both leaders shared the view that the FTA between the two countries must stand on the basic principles of comprehensive ness, substantial liberalization, enhancement of mutual benefits, and consistency with WTO rules and regulations.
2. Conclusion in substance of the Japan-ROK Social Security Agreement
(1) The leaders welcomed the conclusion in substance of the Japan-ROK Social Security Agreement and confirmed that both governments will continue their efforts for the early signing and entry into force of the Agreement.
(2) Both leaders expressed their expectation that the conclusion of this Agreement will promote economic activities between the two countries by eliminating dual public pension contributions.
3. Promotion of an early conclusion of the Japan-ROK Agreement regarding Mutual Assistance between Customs Administrations
The leaders confirmed that they will continue their efforts for the early conclusion of the Japan-ROK Agreement regarding Mutual Assistance between Customs Administrations.
4. Enhancement of the efforts toward the formation of a one-day life area between Japan and the ROK
(1) The leaders, in accordance with the Joint Statement announced this June, agreed to make further active efforts for the early realization of visa exemptions for the ROK nationals.
(2) Both leaders reaffirmed to promote the early realization of flights between Kimpo Airport and Haneda Airport and agreed to enhance the consultation and cooperation between the relevant authorities.
Back to Index