Joint Statement on Agricultural Cooperation
May 13, 2012
We, the leaders of the People's Republic of China, the Republic of Korea and Japan, shared the view that agriculture is essential for the development of our nations and the welfare of our peoples.
Agricultural cooperation among the three countries is conducive to improving agricultural technology, enhancing food production capabilities, and facilitating trade in agricultural products. It also helps our three countries to better maintain food security, promote steady social and economic growth and maintain multiple functions such as conserving lands and preserving biodiversity. We were also aware that sound cooperation in agriculture among our three countries is important for the enhancement of food security in the region and the world at large.
We welcomed the first Trilateral Agricultural Ministers’ Meeting held in Jeju, the Republic of Korea on 14-15 April 2012 and its fruitful outcomes. And we spoke highly of the effective cooperation among the three countries within the ASEAN Plus Three (10+3) framework. Acknowledging that there is sound foundation and great potential to enhance trilateral agricultural cooperation, we decided to advance our cooperation in agriculture as follows:
- To exchange information on agricultural policies pertaining to food security and researchers as well as to seek joint research opportunities all through means like co-hosting of symposiums while focusing on fostering trilateral cooperation on the food security issue at a regional and international level including AFSIS (ASEAN Food Security Information System), APTERR (ASEAN+3 Emergency Rice Reserve) and APIP (Asia-Pacific Information Platform on food security).
- To share the status of and exchange information about plant and animal diseases such as Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Avian Influenza (AI) that break out frequently throughout Asia, and consider the feasibility of establishing a center for disease control and prevention as joint response efforts.
- To share the information of natural disasters and to exert concerted efforts in avoiding and mitigating natural disasters as well as in restoring agricultural production damaged by natural disasters.
- To assess the status of trilateral cooperation in promoting the exchange of researchers and organizing joint research, workshops and symposiums so as to share information on common issues.
- To promote trade in food and agricultural products while pursuing sustainable agriculture through a possible economic partnership among China, Japan and Korea.
- To enhance cooperation at regional and global fora like ASEAN+3, APEC, FAO, and G20.
We supported the agricultural ministers of our three countries to hold regular meetings on a rotational basis for communication and coordination on major issues of cooperation in the field of agriculture as well as exchange of views and coordination of positions on international food and agricultural issues.
Back to Index