Japan-China-ROK Trilateral Summit
Joint Statement on Strengthening Science and Innovation
Cooperation among the Republic of Korea, Japan, and the People's Republic of China
Jeju, Republic of Korea, 30 May, 2010
We, the leaders of the Republic of Korea, Japan and the People's Republic of China, on the occasion of the Third Trilateral Summit Meeting held on 29 May 2010 in Jeju Island, ROK:
Recognizing that the three countries are important components of regional and global economy and have the responsibility to work actively to address regional and global issues;
Agreeing that economic development calls for the supportive role of science and technology advancement and innovation and that the further development and deepening of trilateral cooperation in science and innovation are essential to improving our research capacity and addressing common regional and global issues, and are in the interest of the three countries;
Reaffirming our commitments in the Joint Statement on Sustainable Development among the People's Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea [PDF] issued on 10 October 2009;
Decide to coordinate and underpin trilateral cooperation in a spirit of mutual respect, mutual benefit and win-win progress in science and innovation under current mechanisms, and support such collaboration in areas of common interest by means jointly approved by the three countries:
- Continue to provide financial support to the Joint Research Collaboration Program and the A3 Foresight Program and explore possibility of further expansion of the investment in light of actual circumstances. In addition, we will explore the possibility of establishing a new joint fund program to support joint research with common interest in the fields, and by the means which are decided through discussion among the three countries.
- Enhance exchanges and cooperation in epidemic control and clinical studies, and give full play to the important role of science and technology advances in improving public health.
- Enhance exchanges and cooperation in pollution prevention and control, hazardous waste treatment technology and management, electronic waste treatment technology and management, and crop research; vigorously promote trilateral cooperation on the management of water resources, and drive the sustainable development through science and technology.
- Deepen science and technology cooperation in information communications, especially in sensor networks, 4G mobile communications standards and internet security to promote industrial formation and development through science and technology progress.
- Conduct joint research in monsoon, drought and water disasters, meteorological disaster and earthquake to improve the capacity of Northeast Asia to respond to natural disasters through science and technology progress.
- Jointly organize regular workshops from 2010 among young researchers, encourage them to be key players in science and technology development and trilateral cooperation, support the non-governmental organizations to engage in science and technology exchanges and cooperation, and science communication and public understanding of science in the three countries.
In order to conduct the cooperation mentioned above, we will give full play to the current trilateral mechanism on science and technology cooperation to coordinate collaboration in various areas of science and innovation and explore new mechanism and ways of cooperation if considered necessary by the three countries.
Through closer cooperation, we will work hard to raise the level of science and technology, and innovation capacity in support of socio-economic development in the three countries, jointly address regional and global issues, and explore ways of contributing to the long-term goal of developing an East Asian community.
Back to Index