Overview of the Meetings between Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto and Vice President Xi Jinping and State Councillor Dai Bingguo
July 4, 2011
On the afternoon and evening of July 4 (Mon.), Mr. Takeaki Matsumoto, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a separate meeting with Mr. Xi Jinping, Vice President, and Mr. Dai Bingguo, State Councillor, of the People's Republic of China during his visit to Beijing. The overview of the meeting is as follows (The times shown below indicate Beijing time, one hour behind the Japan time.):
1. Meeting with Vice President Xi Jinping (15:30 - 16:20, July 4)
- Vice President Xi offered words of sympathy for Japan in the wake of the Great East Japan Earthquake and said that China is ready to continue to provide necessary assistance. Minister Matsumoto reiterated his gratitude for China's material and emotional support for Japan in regard to the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- Both sides shared recognition of the importance of encouraging exchanges at various levels, especially youth and local exchanges, promoting working-level cooperation, and working together towards peace and stability in the region.
- Minister Matsumoto touched on issues involving rare earth metals, import restrictions on agricultural, fishery, and other products from Japan, and maritime issues.
2. Meeting with State Councilor Dai Bingguo (19:40 - 21:00, July 4)
- At the outset, Minister Matsumoto reiterated his gratitude for China's material and emotional support for Japan in regard to the Great East Japan Earthquake.
- Both sides expressed their own ideas and views on diplomacy and exchanged views on the issues related to the ocean and North Korea.
Back to Index