Process and Required Documents for Re-entry
1. Additional Quarantine Measure
Upon re-entry, negative COVID-19 test result conducted within 72 hours of the departure time is required.
- This format (Word) filled and signed by a medical institution is considered to be valid. So, in principle, please use this format.
- If the applicant cannot find a medical institution which accepts the above mentioned format, a document in an optional format with all the required information in English is acceptable, though omitting any of the information listed in below may result in denial of permission to entry into Japan in accordance with the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.
- (1) personal information of an applicant (name, passport number, nationality, date of birth, sex)
- (2) proof of authenticity of the COVID-19 test result (test method (only limited to the test method mentioned in the format), test result, date (and time) of sampling, date of test result, date of issuance of the certificate)
- (3) information of a medical institution(the name and address of a medical institution /the name of a doctor/stamp seal(or sign by doctor))
Applicants are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result (or copy) to quarantine officer when arriving at Japan. After that, please submit that as well as “Re-entry Confirmation Letter” to immigration officer.
If applicants cannot submit these documents to immigration officer, the applicants are denied entry into Japan based on Ordinance for Enforcement of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. If applicants enter Japan with false documents, their status of residence is revoked and they could be subject to deportation based on Ordinance for Enforcement of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.
When applicants are required to show a COVID-19 test result by airline staff before leaving for Japan, please follow the instruction.
If a PCR test for asymptomatic person is not available in the country/region of your residence, please be noted that the applicant is required to stop at a third country where it is available before leaving for Japan.
2. Necessary process and documents
The applicant is required to go to a Japanese overseas establishment where you reside to obtain the Letter of Confirmation of Submitting Necessary Documentation for Re-entry into Japan (hereafter referred to as “Re-entry Confirmation Letter”).
Following documents are required for the application.
- Passport with valid re-entry permit including special re-entry permit
- Residence card issued by the Japanese authority
- Application Form (PDF)
The applicant will be contacted once “Re-entry Confirmation Letter” is ready. The applicant or a representative of the applicant can obtain “Re-entry Confirmation Letter” at the Japanese overseas establishment. This process is free of charge.
Please be noted that “Re-entry Confirmation Letter” is not issued on the same day of the application.