1st Conversation between Prime Minister Noda and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao
December 28, 2011
Mr. Yoshihiko Noda, Prime Minister of Japan, had a conversation with Mr. Wen Jiabao, Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, for about 5 minutes on November 18 during their visit to Bali, the Republic of Indonesia, for ASEAN-related summit meetings. The conversation took place before the start of a gala dinner hosted by Indonesian President and Mrs. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. The following is a summary of the conversation:
- Premier Wen mentioned the telephone conversation he had with Prime Minister Noda in September and the meetings that took place between Prime Minister Noda and President Hu Jintao at the recent G20 and APEC Summits. Premier Wen said he looked forward to Prime Minister Noda's visit to China, declaring it would show a positive signal for cooperative relations between the two countries. Premier Wen also said he would welcome a visit to China by Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Koichiro Gemba.
- Prime Minister Noda said he was arranging for his trip to China before the end of the year. Noting that he considered t*he development of China to be an opportunity for Japan, he said Japan wished to further deepen the "Mutually Beneficial Relationship based on Common Strategic Interests" by seizing the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the normalization of Japan-China diplomatic relations next year. Premier Wen replied that China hoped to take advantage of the 40th anniversary next year for the development of bilateral cooperation in every field.
- In closing, Prime Minister Noda reiterated Japan's request for China to further relax import restrictions on Japanese food and agricultural products.
2nd Conversation between Prime Minister Noda and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao
December 28, 2011
- Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda and Premier Wen Jiabao of the State Council had their second brief conversation on November 19 on the occasion of a plenary session of the East Asia Summit (EAS) during their visit to Bali, the Republic of Indonesia, for ASEAN-related summit meetings.
- As continuation of discussions at the ROK Trilateral Summit held on November 19 just before their second meeting, Prime Minister Noda and Premier Wen confirmed the importance of further strengthening bilateral economic cooperation amid the global financial crisis. In particular, the two leaders reaffirmed that work on the Japan-China-ROK investment agreement should be accelerated to reach a substantial agreement soon. Premier Wen especially reiterated the importance of coming to an early agreement on the issue. In addition, the two leaders reconfirmed the importance of a possible FTA among Japan, China and the ROK.
Back to Index