The 6th Seminar of the Dialogue among Civilizations between Japan and the Islamic World in Riyadh
March 19, 2008
- "The 6th Seminar of the Dialogue among Civilizations between Japan and the Islamic World" will be held in Riyadh, the capital of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from March 23 (Sun) to 25 (Tue) under the joint auspices of the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of Japan and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- This Seminar was proposed as one of the pillars of "Toward Multi-layered Relations with Gulf Countries (Kono Initiative)" announced by Mr. Yohei Kono, then Minister for Foreign Affairs, when he visited Gulf Countries in January 2001. The seminar was first launched in Bahrain in March 2002. Following seminars were held twice in Tokyo, once in Teheran, and Tunis. Until now, five seminars have been held in total.
- In addition to the co-host, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a number of intellectuals from Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Sudan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Indonesia, Malaysia, and other Islamic countries, as well as 13 Japanese intellectuals including Professor Yuzo Itagaki, Professor Emeritus of the University of Tokyo, will take part in the seminar. In the opening ceremony, Dr. Madani, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of Saudi Arabia and Mr. Osamu Uno, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan will make opening remarks. The participants will have free discussions on the theme of "Culture and Respect of Religions" and four sub themes: "Religions in a Globalize World", "Education and Respect of Religions", "Mass Media and Respect of Religions" and "Shared Human Values among Societies".
- It is worth mentioning that two workshops are to be held under the title of "Young Minds and Future Partnership," in which students from both Japan and Islamic countries will have discussion as well as a workshop "Towards the Institutionalization of Dialogue between Japan and Islamic World," in which future image of the Dialogue will be discussed for the first time in the history of the Dialogue.
- It is expected that this seminar will contribute to promoting the mutual understanding between Japan and Islamic countries through free discussions by intellectuals from both sides, while sharing the common perception on how various civilizations can co-exist and maintain harmony notwithstanding the differences of cultures and ideologies.
Back to Index