Startup Meeting for Four-Party Consultative Unit for the Concept of the "Corridor for Peace and Prosperity" and the Third Conference for Confidence-Building between the Israelis and the Palestinians
March 12, 2007
- On March 14 (Wed), Mr. Taro Aso, Minister for Foreign Affairs, will host a ministerial-level startup meeting for the Four-Party Consultative Unit for the concept of "Corridor for Peace and Prosperity", which will be attended by representatives of Israel, Palestine, and Jordan.
- Participants of the meeting will be Mr. Shimon Peres, Vice Premier of the State of Israel; Dr. Sa'eb Erekat, Head of the Negotiations Affairs of PLO, and Mr. Farouk Kasrawi, Special Advisor of His Majesty King Abdullah II.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will also host the Third Conference for Confidence-Building between the Israelis and the Palestinians from March 14 (Wed) to 15 (Thu) in Tokyo.
- Participants of the Conference include be, in addition to the above-mentioned representatives, Dr. Tatsuo Arima, Special Envoy of the Government of Japan, Mr. Ryoji Tateyama, Professor of the National Defense Academy and other specialists from Japanese side, and government officials and those concerned in academic and business circles from Israeli, Palestinian, and Jordanian sides. The participants will exchange views, aiming at peaceful coexistence between the Israelis and the Palestinians, on the current political situation, measures toward the revitalization of Palestinian economy, the concept of "Corridor for Peace and Prosperity", and the possibilities of regional economic cooperation.
- This Conference, which follows the Second Conference held in July 2004, will be a part of Japan's initiative for confidence-building between the Israelis and the Palestinians, one of Japan's policy pillars for promoting the Middle East Peace Process.
Back to Index