Ms. Yoriko Kawaguchi, Minister for Foreign Affairs, to Visit European Countries and Attend the 5th WTO Ministerial Conference
August 29, 2003
- From August 31 (Sun) to September 16 (Tue), Ms. Yoriko Kawaguchi, Minister for Foreign Affairs, will visit Austria to attend the 3rd Conference on Facilitating the Entry into Force of the CTBT (Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty), Switzerland to attend the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, Mexico to attend the 5th WTO (World Trade Organization) Ministerial Conference, and Ukraine and Belgium to make the best use of her itinerary.
- In Ukraine, Ms. Kawaguchi will have talks with governmental key figures including Foreign Minister Anatoliy Zlenko to exchange views on the strengthening of bilateral relations and the international situation.
- In Austria, she will attend the 3rd Conference on Facilitating the Entry into Force of the CTBT and make a speech as the first speaker among the participants at the Conference to clearly emphasize Japan's consistent policy urging the early entry into force of the CTBT. She will exchange views with Austrian Foreign Minister Dr. Benita Ferrero-Waldner and Finnish Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja on the strengthening of bilateral relations and the international situation, and also have talks with Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei, Director General of the IAEA, to exchange views on how to respond to issues of nuclear non-proliferation, and so on.
- In Switzerland, she will attend the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, and make a speech to comprehensively and concretely state Japan's policy on disarmament control and non-proliferation to the international community, and exchange views with Dr. Supachai Panitchpakdi, Director-General of the WTO, regarding the WTO Ministerial Conference in Cancun.
- In Belgium, she will exchange views with Mr. Pascal Lamy, European Commissioner for Trade, and Dr. Franz Fischler, European Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development and Fisheries, regarding the 5th WTO Ministerial Conference, and also exchange views with Mr. Chris Patten, European Commissioner for External Relations, mainly on the international situation.
- In Mexico, she will attend the 5th WTO Ministerial Conference. During her stay there, she will have consultations with participants on prospect for the current round negotiations.
Back to Index