The International Conference on Dialogue among Asian Civilizations
February 16, 2001
- The International Conference on Dialogue among Asian Civilizations will be held on February 17 (Sat) and 18 (Sun) in Tehran, Iran.
- The conference will be attended by delegations from China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Malaysia, North Korea, the Philippines, R.O.K. and Thailand, and as well as by Mr. Giandomenico Pico, Personal Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations Year of Dialogue among Civilizations, a representative of UNESCO and others. From Japan, a government delegation headed by Dr. Tatsuo Arima, Representative of the Government of Japan, and including Mr. Yoshiya Abe, President of Kokugakuin University, will take part in the conference. From Iran, participants will include President Khatami, Foreign Minister Kharrazi and Dr. Ataollah Mohajerani, former Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance and Director of the International Center for Dialogue among Civilizations.
- During the conference, topics to be discussed will include the role to be played by Asian civilizations in the dialogue among civilizations of the world.
- Japan supports the idea of "dialogue among civilizations", for it contributes to peace and stability of the international society and the realization of the co-existence of humankind. Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori expressed his willingness in the summit meeting with President Khatami of Iran during his visit to Japan last November to send a delegation to the conference with a view to support the enhancement of dialogue among civilizations. The dispatch of the delegation this time to the conference is as a result of this meeting.
It is hoped that fruitful discussions will be held in the conference on how Asian nations can contribute to the dialogue among civilizations.
- The U.N. General Assembly 1998 adopted the resolution to designate the year 2001 as "U.N. Year of Dialogue among Civilizations" based on the initiative by President Khatami to promote the dialogue. The Government of Iran, the host of the conference, invited Asian countries as a part of its activities to implement the resolution, which urges Member States to hold various events to promote the dialogue among civilizations.
Back to Index