8th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue
September 10, 2012
- The 8th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue was held on Monday, September 10 in Tokyo.
- The dialogue was led respectively by Mr. Akio Miyajima, Deputy Director-General of Foreign Policy Bureau, Ambassador in charge of UN affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, and Ms. Mansureh Sharifi Sadr, Director General of Human Rights and Women Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- The Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue started in accordance with the Joint Statement between Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran on the occasion of the visit of President Seyyed Mohammad Khatami to Japan in 2000. This dialogue followed the 7th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue held in May 2011 in Tehran.
- During the dialogue, both countries (explained their respective basic policies on human rights issues, and) exchanged views, among others, on matters of interest and concern, including freedom of expression and cruel punishment, as well as cooperation with the United Nations.
- Both sides reached the consensus to arrange for holding the next dialogue in 2013 in Tehran.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)