Statement by the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan on the Passing of H.E. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills, President of the Republic of Ghana, and the Inauguration of H.E. Mr. John Dramani Mahama, Vice-President of the Republic of Ghana, as the New President
July 25, 2012
- On receiving the news of the passing of H.E. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills, President of the Republic of Ghana on Tuesday, July 24, the Government of Japan expresses sincere condolences to his bereaved family and the Government and people of the Republic of Ghana.
- President Mills contributed significantly to the development of Japan-Ghana relationship through various occasions such as an official visit to Japan from September to October in 2010. The Government of Japan deeply appreciates such President Mills's achievements.
- The Government of Japan offers its sincerest prayers for the repose of President Mills's soul and wishes that the Government of the Republic of Ghana and its people will overcome this sadness and continue to progress toward the further development and prosperity of their country.
- Japan welcomes the inauguration of H.E. Mr. John Dramani Mahama, Vice-President of the Republic of Ghana, as the new President on Tuesday, July 24, based on the country's constitutional framework. Japan hopes that Ghana will further promote its development under the leadership of President Mahama and continue its contribution to the peace and stability of the African region. In addition, the Government of Japan intends to further strengthen the friendly and cooperative relationship between Japan and Ghana.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)