Summary of the 16th Round of Negotiations for Japan Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA)
June 15, 2012
- The 16th round of negotiations for the Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) was held from Wednesday, June 13 to Friday, June 15 in Tokyo.
- In this round, Mr. Shinichi Nishimiya, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and officials from relevant ministries and agencies of Japan, and Ms. Jan Adams, First Assistant Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and, officials from relevant departments of Australia respectively participated.
- In this round, useful discussions were held in areas such as trade in goods and services, investment, energy and mineral resources and food supply. A summary of the discussions is as follows:(1) In respect of market access of trade in goods, both sides had broad range of discussions on the issues of concerns in light of discussions so far, regarding both primary products and industrial products.
(2) In respect of trade in services and investment, both sides continued discussions on their respective requests and discussed the draft texts.
(3) In respect of energy and mineral resources, both sides discussed the draft text regarding stable supply of these resources.
(4) In respect of food supply, both sides discussed the draft text regarding stable supply of food.
- The schedule of the next 17th round of negotiations will be determined through diplomatic channels later.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated denotes the date of issue of the original press released in Japanese.)
Back to Index