Statement by the Press Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, on the recent situation in Israel and the Palestinian Territories
August 22, 2011
- The Government of Japan condemns the incident, on August 18, in which attacks by a Palestinian military group against Israelis caused a number of deaths and casualties.
- Japan is also deeply concerned about the situation in which rocket attacks by Palestinian militants against Israel, and the retaliatory actions of Israel's military, have caused death and injuries among civilians in Israel and the Gaza Strip.
- Japan sends condolences to the bereaved families, and calls upon both Israel and Palestinian militants to exercise maximum self-restraint and avoid further death and injuries.
- Japan is convinced that the problems which people in the Middle East face can never be solved through violence but only through negotiations and efforts to build mutual trust among the parties to the conflict. Japan strongly hopes that all the parties concerned will make the utmost efforts to that end.
- (*This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Japanese.)