Statement by the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan on the Independence of the Republic of South Sudan
July 9, 2011
- On Saturday, July 9, upon the independence of the Republic of South Sudan, Japan expresses its congratulations to all the people of South Sudan. In addition, Japan appreciates the continuous efforts and support made up to now by the parties concerned of the Governments of the Republic of the Sudan and the Republic of South Sudan toward the independence of South Sudan as well as the efforts made by various international organizations and involved countries.
- Japan recognized the Republic of South Sudan as a new state as of today.
- Japan expects that the Government and people of South Sudan make concerted and united efforts under the leadership of President Salva Kiir in order to build the new nation toward self-sustainability.
- Japan will cooperate with South Sudan in order to build up close and friendly bilateral relations, and will provide its utmost possible support for the nation-building effort in South Sudan in cooperation with the international community.
- (* This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index