7th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue
May 17, 2011
- The 7th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue was held on Monday, May 16 in Tehran.
- The dialogue was led respectively by Mr. Akio Miyajima, Ambassador in charge of UN affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, and Mr. Gholamhossein Dehghani, Director General for Political International Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- The Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue started in accordance with the Joint Statement between Japan and the Islamic Republic of Iran on the occasion of the visit of President Seyyed Mohammad Khatami to Japan in 2000. This dialogue followed the 6th Japan-Iran Human Rights Dialogue held in September 2010 in Tokyo.
- During the dialogue, both countries exchanged views, among others, on matters of concern and interest, including freedom of expression and cruel punishment, as well as cooperation with the United Nations.
- Both sides reached the consensus to arrange for holding the next dialogue in 2012 in Tokyo.
- (*This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Japanese.)