Third Japan-Thailand Political Consultation Meeting
April 6, 2011
- On Tuesday, April 5, the Third Japan-Thailand Political Consultation Meeting was held in Tokyo. The meeting was attended on the Japanese side by Mr. Koro Bessho, the Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and other relevant officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan; and on the Thai side by H.E. Mr. Pravit Chaimongkol, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, H.E. Mr. Virasakdi Futrakul, Ambassador, Royal Thai Embassy, and other relevant officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand.
- The holding of the Third Japan-Thailand Political Consultation Meeting was agreed between the foreign ministers of Japan and Thailand at the Japan-Thailand Foreign Ministerial Meeting held in October 2010. At the latest meeting, broad discussions on bilateral issues, cooperation in the international fora as well as the regional and international issues were held between the two countries.
- With regard to the bilateral relationship, at the beginning of the meeting, the Japanese side expressed its deep gratitude for the assistance offered by Thailand following the Great East Japan Earthquake. Both sides agreed to further promote economic relations between the two countries as well as promote cooperation in all aspects such as political, social and economic fronts. The Japanese side also requested the Thai side to provide a full account of the case of the death of a Japanese national that occurred in Thailand in April 2010.
- Both the Japanese and Thai sides agreed to enhance cooperation between the two countries in the Japan-ASEAN and the Japan-Mekong cooperation frameworks in order to strengthen connectivity in ASEAN. Both sides also agreed to enhance coordination between the two countries in the international arena including in the area of security. With regard to the regional situation, the two sides discussed situations in East Asia and Southeast Asia.
- (* This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index