Courtesy Call on Ms. Makiko Kikuta, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs, by H. E. Mr. Domingos Sarmento Alves, Ambassador of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste to Japan (Donation of Relief Money from the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste)
March 25, 2011
- Today (Friday, March 25), Ms. Makiko Kikuta, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, met with H. E. Mr. Domingos Sarmento Alves, Ambassador of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste.
- Ambassador Alves offered his condolences for the damage caused by Tohoku - Pacific Ocean Earthquake on behalf of the government of Timor-Leste, and explained that immediately following the earthquake, an emergency cabinet meeting was held within Timor-Leste, to which Charge d'Affaires ad interim for the Embassy of Japan in Timor-Leste was invited, and a serious discussion took place as to what assistance can be offered to Japan. Ambassador Alves stated that as a result of discussion it was decided to donate a solidarity donation of 500,000 US dollars, and handed the copy of the notice of determination of the government of Timor-Leste to Ms. Kikuta.
- Ms. Kikuta expressed her deep appreciation for the donation on behalf of the Government of Japan, its people and those who suffered from the recent earthquake. Ms. Kikuta repeatedly expressed her gratitude to Timor-Leste for convening an emergency cabinet meeting for assistance immediately following the earthquake by sharing the same feeling with those who suffered from the earthquake, as well as to the warm messages of sympathy received from the dignitaries of Timor-Leste including President José Ramos-Horta, Prime Minister Kay Rala Xanana Gusmão, and President of the National Parliament Fernando La Sama de Araujo, and the signing of the book of condolence at the Embassy of Japan in Timor-Leste by those dignitaries.
Furthermore, Ms. Kikuta explained the current situation of the area affected by the earthquake and the efforts being made by the Government of Japan and relevant actors. Ms. Kikuta also explained that utmost efforts are being made on a priority basis to calm down the situation at the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Station.
- In response, Ambassador Alves stated that he would like to express his deep gratitude to those who are making strenuous efforts without regard for the risk to their own lives at the nuclear power plants for the sake of many others including Ambassador Alves himself.
- (*This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Jap
Back to Index