Telephone Conversation between the Foreign Ministers of Japan and China
March 10, 2011
- On Thursday, March 10, Mr. Takeaki Matsumoto, Minister for Foreign Affairs, had a conversation over the phone with Dr. Yang Jiechi, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, in response to Mr. Matsumoto's assumption of the office of Foreign Minister.
- Foreign Minister Matsumoto expressed his gratitude for Foreign Minister Yang's promptly sending a congratulatory letter, and told that he would like to work in close contact with Foreign Minister Yang and establish good cooperative relations with him. Foreign Minister Yang extended his congratulations to Foreign Minister Matsumoto on his assumption of office and his intention to build good relations with him.
- The Foreign Ministers shared the recognition that this year should be the key year to Japan- China relationship, which will celebrate 40th anniversary of the normalization next year. They agreed that through mutual cooperation Japan and China would steadily carry out agreements reached by their leaders on the occasion of the Japan-China Summit Meeting in last November and make further efforts in materializing “Mutually Beneficial Relationship based on Common Strategic Interests”.
- Foreign Minister Matsumoto stated that he would welcome Foreign Minister Yang in Kyoto on the occasion of the Japan-China-ROK Trilateral Foreign Ministers' Meeting, which is to be held on the 19th of this month, and that he would like to have in-depth exchange of views with him on that occasion. Foreign Minister Yang responded that he was looking forward to meeting Foreign Minister Matsumoto at the upcoming Trilateral Meeting.
- (*This is a provisional translation. The above date denotes the date of the issue of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index