Notification for the Entry into Force of the Japan-Viet Nam Nuclear Cooperation Agreement
December 22, 2011
- On Thursday, December 22 (same day local time), the notification from the Government of Japan for the entry into force of the Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam for Cooperation in the Development and Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy was made and was received by the Government of Viet Nam on the same day in Hanoi, Viet Nam. Accordingly, pursuant to the provision of this Agreement (Article 15.1), this Agreement will enter into force on Saturday, January 21, 2012, the 30th day after the date of receipt of the notification. This Agreement was signed in Hanoi on January 20, 2011 and was approved in the Japanese Diet on December 9, 2011.
- This Agreement provides the necessary legal framework for the realization of cooperation between Japan and Viet Nam in the field of the peaceful uses of nuclear energy as follows:
(1) Use of nuclear material etc. only for peaceful purposes;
(2) Application of the safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to nuclear material;
(3) Implementation of measures based on nuclear safety-related conventions;
(4) Application of measures for proper physical protection of nuclear material;
(5) Control on the transfer of nuclear material etc. beyond the jurisdiction of the Parties (third country transfer); and
(6) Prohibition of enrichment and reprocessing in Viet Nam of nuclear materials that are subject to this Agreement.
- By concluding this Agreement, both countries will be able to legally ensure the non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear material and nuclear-related equipment and technology transferred between Japan and Viet Nam. In addition, while this Agreement is not an arrangement about any specific business or project, the obligations of the other party to ensure the non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear-related equipment etc. transferred from Japan will be clearly set out by the conclusion of this Agreement. Furthermore, it will enable the promotion of cooperation on strengthening nuclear safety etc. based on the Agreement.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)