Exchange of diplomatic notes for the Entry into Force of the Japan-Republic of Korea Nuclear Cooperation Agreement
December 22, 2011
- On Thursday, December 22 (same day local time), the exchange of diplomatic notes for the entry into force of the Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Republic of Korea for Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy was conducted in Seoul, the Republic of Korea. Accordingly, pursuant to the provision of this Agreement (Article 16.1), this Agreement will enter into force on Saturday, January 21, 2012, the 30th day after the date of exchange of the diplomatic notes. This Agreement was signed in Tokyo on December 20, 2010 and was approved in the Japanese Diet on December 9, 2011.
- This Agreement provides the necessary legal framework for the realization of cooperation between Japan and the Republic of Korea in the field of the peaceful uses of nuclear energy as follows:
(1) Use of nuclear material etc. only for peaceful purposes;
(2) Application of the safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to nuclear material;
(3) Implementation of measures based on nuclear safety-related conventions;
(4) Application of measures for proper physical protection of nuclear material;
(5) Control on the transfer of nuclear material etc. beyond the jurisdiction of the Parties (third country transfer); and
(6) Control on the enrichment (20% or more) and reprocessing in the Republic of Korea of nuclear materials that are subject to this Agreement.
- By concluding this Agreement, both countries will be able to legally ensure the non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear material and nuclear-related equipment and technology transferred between Japan and the Republic of Korea. In addition, while this Agreement is not an arrangement about any specific business or project, the obligations of the other party to ensure the non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear-related equipment etc. transferred from Japan will be clearly set out by the conclusion of this Agreement. Furthermore, it will enable the promotion of cooperation on strengthening nuclear safety etc. based on the Agreement.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index