Summary of the 13th Round of Negotiations on the Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement
December 21, 2011
- The 13th round of negotiations on the Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) was held from Tuesday, December 20 to Wednesday, December 21 in Canberra.
- In this round, Mr. Shinichi Nishimiya, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and officials from relevant ministries and agencies of Japan, and Mr. Bruce Gosper, Deputy Secretary of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, First Assistant Secretary (Head of the Japan FTA Task Force), and officials from relevant departments of Australia respectively participated.
- In this round, useful discussions were held in each area including trade in goods and rules of origin, improvement of business environment etc. A summary of the discussion is as follows:(1) In respect of market access of trade in goods, both sides had discussions on their concerns in light of discussion so far, regarding both primary products and industrial products.
(2) In respect of rules of origin and improvement of business environment, both sides continued discussions on remaining issues.
- The next 14th round of negotiations will be held in Tokyo around February 2012. The detailed schedule will be arranged through diplomatic channels.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index