Statement by the Press Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, on the decision regarding the construction of housing units in East Jerusalem
October 18, 2011
- The Government of Japan deeply deplores that, according to the news, the Israeli Government announced a plan of the construction of 2,610 new housing units in Givat Hamatos of East Jerusalem.
- The fact that the Israeli government is still proceeding the plan of settlement construction, at a time when the international community is urging both Israeli and Palestinian sides to resume direct negotiations, goes against the ongoing efforts by the international community to resume the negotiations for peace.
- Settlement activities are a violation of international law, and Japan has repeatedly called upon Israel to fully freeze settlement activities. Japan reiterates its strong call to Israel to refrain from any unilateral act that changes the current situation in East Jerusalem and not to approve and implement the above-mentioned plan of construction for the sake of progress of the peace process.
- Japan once again strongly urges that both sides act for boosting mutual trust and continue to make steady efforts for peace.
- (*The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issuance of the original press release in Japanese.)
Back to Index