The 3rd Meeting of the Japanese Working Group for the Forum for the Promotion of Public-Private Cooperation in the Mekong Region
April 26, 2010
- As follow-up to the “Mekong-Japan Action Plan 63” that was issued at the First Meeting between the Heads of the Governments of Japan and the Mekong region countries held in November 2009, the 3rd Meeting of the Japanese Working Group for the Forum for the Promotion of Public-Private Cooperation in the Mekong Region was held on April 26 (Mon) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Attendees at the Meeting included staff from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Ministry of Finance; Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries; Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry; Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Tourism; Ministry of the Environment; Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA); Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC); Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO); Nippon Keidanren (Japan Business Federation); Japan PFI Association; and relevant people from the private sector.
- At the Meeting, with the goal of further strengthening Japan's public-private cooperation and partnership in the Mekong region, broad discussions were held regarding topics including public-private cooperation and partnership for alternative energy and water business, on the theme of “the environment and climate change”.
- The Meeting of the Japanese Working Group will be held regularly in the future, and will proceed with work towards holding the Forum for the Promotion of Public-Private Cooperation in the Mekong region later this year.
(Reference) The “Mekong-Japan Action Plan 63”(Excerpt from a relevant portion of the document)
“2.2. Japan will launch a new forum for the promotion of Public-Private Cooperation in the Mekong region, consisting of public, private and academic sectors of Japan and the Mekong region countries, to discuss issues of common interest among public and private sectors, including hard and soft infrastructure, logistics and distribution and industrial development.”
* Countries of the Mekong region: Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and Laos
Back to Index