The Situation in Bangkok, the Kingdom of Thailand (Delivery of a letter from Mr. Kasit Piromya, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, to Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, and issuance of a reply from Minister Okada to Minister Kasit)
April 11, 2010
- On April 10 (Sat), many casualties resulted from a clash between demonstrators and the security forces in Bangkok, the Kingdom of Thailand. Mr. Hiroyuki Muramoto, a Japanese journalist, was also killed. On the afternoon of April 11 (Sun), a letter regarding this matter was sent from Mr. Kasit Piromya, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, to Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan. The outline of the letter is as follows. (See note)
(1) Being deeply saddened to hear the death of Mr. Muramoto, and expressing its sincere sympathy and condolences.
(2) All necessary arrangements have been made with the relevant authorities regarding necessary documents to transport Mr. Muramoto’s body back to Japan.
(3) The Government of Thailand is fully committed to carrying out a thorough and exhaustive investigation regarding the causes and circumstances surrounding Mr. Muramoto’s death.
(4) The Government of Thailand puts its highest priority on ensuring the safety of foreign citizens in Thailand.
- In response, Minister Okada sent a letter to Minister Piromya on the evening of April 11. The outline of the letter is as follows.
(1) Express our concern on the fact that such a clash took place in Thailand.
(2) Hope for the prompt restoration of order and stability.
(3) Request that all possible measures are taken to ensure the safety of Japanese citizens.
(4) Regret that Mr. Hiroyuki Muramoto died during his news gathering activities. The Government of Japan requests that the Government of Thailand fully investigates the situation and cause of his death, and to be quickly informed of the results of this investigation.
(5) Ask for Minister Piromya’s utmost cooperation regarding the above matters.
This letter was newly sent after the message from Mr. Kasit Piromya, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, to Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, was sent from Mr. Virasakdi Futrakul, Ambassador of Thailand to Japan, to Mr. Hiroshi Inomata, Director General of the Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department, on the morning of April 11.