Assistance by the United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security to the project “Enhancing human security through developing local capacity for holistic community based conflict prevention in Northern Ghana” in the Republic of Ghana.
May 22, 2008
- On the 22nd of May (Thursday), the Government of Japan and the United
Nations (UN) decided to extend assistance totalling 3,080,587.44 US dollars
(approximately 348.11 million yen), through the Trust Fund for Human Security
to a project entitled “Enhancing human security through developing local
capacity for holistic community based conflict prevention in Northern Ghana”
that will be implemented by the United Nations Development Programme(UNDP),
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Food Programme (WFP), Food
and Agriculture Organization of United Nations (FAO), United Nations Industrial
Development Organization (UNIDO) and United Nations University (UNU) in
the Republic of Ghana.
- In northern Ghana, conflicts have been hindering social and economic
development, causing serious problems including poverty, high unemployment,
malnutrition, limited access to education and illiteracy.
This project aims to address these challenges by comprehensive and multi-sectoral activities in the areas of conflict prevention, health, agriculture, education and income generation. The activities under this project will include:
- Conducting training for officials of local governments and raising awareness of traditional local leaders and media representatives on their roles in conflict prevention.
- Increasing agricultural productivity including through rehabilitation of small dams, training of farmers on water management skills, and provision of seed varieties.
- Offering technical training to blacksmiths for alternative livelihoods, and providing equipment and training for small groups engaged in agro-processing, as well as for women’s groups in milling.
- Improving the situation of nutrition through activities such as development of local food supply chains and education on health and nutrition.
- Disseminating the concept of human security through activities such as workshops at community levels.
- This project is expected to promote conflict prevention and improve the economic conditions of local residents, including food supply leading to enhanced human security at community levels.