Meeting between Mr. Masahiko Koumura, Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Zacarias Albano da Costa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
May 2, 2008
- For about 30 minutes from 2 p.m. on May 1 (Thu), Mr. Masahiko Koumura, Minister for Foreign Affairs, held a meeting with Mr. Zacarias Albano da Costa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, who was on a brief stopover in Japan on his way to other countries.
- Mr. Koumura stated as follows:
- (1) I am very happy to hold a foreign ministerial meeting on the occasion of Mr. da Costa's first visit to Japan after the establishment of Timor-Leste's new government in August 2007.
- (2) I really welcome the smooth recovery and return to work of President Jose Ramos-Horta, who was injured in an attack in February this year. Despite such an incident, security has been maintained, which shows the maturity of the Government and the people of Timor-Leste.
- (3) Japan intends to continue proactively its assistance for Timor-Leste's nation-building.
- (4) Japan would like to maintain future-oriented bilateral relations with Timor-Leste.
- Mr. da Costa said as follows:
- (1) President Jose Ramos-Horta, Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, the Government of Timor-Leste and its people are very grateful of Japan's great assistance since before the country's independence. We would like to continue our future-oriented relations.
- (2) Even after the incident of attacks on the President and Prime Minister, the security situation has been stable and the surrender and arrest of those concerned are proceeding smoothly.
- (3) Timor-Leste completely supports Japan's position in various matters in the international arena and intends to continue this policy.