Summary of the Fourth Round of Negotiations on the Japan-India Economic Partnership Agreement
September 6, 2007
- The Fourth Round of Negotiations on the Japan-India Economic Partnership
Agreement (EPA) was held from September 3 (Mon) to 6 (Thu) at the Ministry
of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo.
- In this Round, Mr. Masaharu Kono, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs,
the Chief Negotiator for Japan, and officials from relevant ministries and
agencies of Japan, and Mr. G. K. Pillai, Commerce Secretary of the Department
of Commerce, the Chief Negotiator for India, and officials from relevant
ministries of India participated.
- A summary of the discussion is as follows:
(1) A Chief-Negotiator-level discussion was held on the overall negotiations at the plenary meeting. There was also an exchange of views on such areas as trade in goods (market access, general rules, rules of origin, customs procedures), trade in services, investment, intellectual property, improvement of business environment, cooperation and other areas (competition, government procurement, non-tariff measures), and progress was made in each area. A discussion was also made on draft texts in many of these areas.
(2) In respect of market access of trade in goods, the participants had a discussion mainly on the modalities of the negotiations, building upon the outcome of the previous negotiations.
- The next Fifth Round of negotiations will be determined through diplomatic channels.
Back to Index