Statement by the Press Secretary/ Director-General for Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on the Kidnapping of Nationals of the Republic of Korea (ROK) in Afghanistan
July 27, 2007
- Japan feels indignation and strongly condemns the murder of one of the
23 Korean nationals kidnapped by Taliban in Afghanistan, with twenty-two
of them remaining as hostages.
- Japan extends sincere sympathy for the one who was murdered and deepest
condolences to the bereaved family.
- Such a murder is a most dreadful thing, and Japan shares the heartache
and expresses deepest compassion for those involved and to all the people
of the ROK, which is Japan’s closest neighbor.
- With regard to the murder and kidnapping of our neighboring country’s
innocent people, Japan hopes that the efforts of the Government of Afghanistan
and the ROK will succeed, that the hostages will be released as soon as
possible, and that the matter will be resolved.
- Japan intends to make utmost effort for the early settlement of the matter.
Back to Index