Startup Meeting for Four-Party Consultative Unit for the Concept of the "Corridor for Peace and Prosperity"
March 14, 2007
- On March 14 (Wed), the ministerial-level startup meeting for the Four-Party Consultative Unit for the concept of the "Corridor for Peace and Prosperity" was hosted in Tokyo by Mr. Taro Aso, Minister for Foreign Affairs. This meeting was attended by Mr. Shimon Peres, Vice Premier, of Israel, Dr. Sa'eb Erekat, Head of the Negotiations Affairs of the Palestine Liberation Organization, and Mr. Farouk Kasrawi, Special Advisor of His Majesty King Abdullah II, of Jordan.
- At the meeting, the Four Parties agreed on the following, which Mr. Aso announced at a reception held after the meeting:
- We will maintain high political interest in promoting this initiative.
- We will focus our attention on supporting the activities of the feasibility study mission starting the end of March for agro-industrial park development in Jordan River Rift Valley, in particular, on selecting possible places to build an agro-industrial park.
- We will regularly convene four-party meetings at technical-level within the region, and the first meeting will be held around June this year.
- The representatives of the Israeli, the Palestinian, and the Jordanian sides expressed appreciation for Japan's initiative on this concept and its assistance to the Palestinians, and they also expressed their expectation for early implementation of the concept and for Japan's greater role in the Middle East Peace Process.
Back to Index