Emergency Humanitarian Grant Aid for Lebanon
August 8, 2006
- In response to the UN Flash Appeal issued on July 24, the Government of Japan decided on August 8 (Tue) to extend emergency grant aid consisting of 1 million dollars through the World Health Organization (WHO), half million dollars through the World Food Programme (WFP), and half million dollars through the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). This aid embodies Japan's 2 million dollar assistance which was announced on July 27.
- It is reported that the number of internally displaced persons in Lebanon has reached about seven hundred thousand due to the deterioration of the situation between Israel and Hezbullah. There is a growing demand for basic materials such as food, medicine and blankets. This emergency aid aims to help those who were affected in various ways by the detarioration of humanitarian situation on the ground.
- This aid will be used to provide food, medicine, medical equipment, tents, mattresses and blankets as follows:
- (1) WHO (support essential health services with /kits/equipment) (1 million dollars)
- (2) WFP (emergency food assistance) (half million dollars)
- (3) UNHCR (emergency assistance for the internally displaced persons and others of concern in Lebanon) (half million dollars)
Back to Index