Statement by the Press Secretary/Director-General for Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on the Marine Scientific Research by the Government of the Republic of Korea in the Waters where Claim of the Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZ) Overlap between Japan and the ROK and the Territorial Sea around Takeshima Islands
July 5, 2006
- Today, the Government of the Republic of Korea conducted a marine scientific research in the waters where claim of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) overlap between the two States and the territorial sea around Takeshima Islands. It is extremely regrettable that the Government of the ROK started the marine scientific research in spite of Japan's repeated request to either halt or postpone the research. The Government of Japan urges the Government of ROK to halt it immediately.
- Noting the Government of the ROK conducted the marine scientific research, the Government of Japan will respond appropriately to this issue in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and the related domestic laws, by, for example, protesting through diplomatic channels and urging the ROK to halt the research at the site.
- Based on the agreement between Vice-Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Japan and the ROK in April 2006, until a provisional framework for cooperation in the field of marine scientific research is established, the Government of Japan has been observing the progress of the situation and has not conducted marine scientific research in the waters where claim of the EEZ overlap. However, the Government of Japan will conduct a marine scientific research at an appropriate time as necessary because the situation has come to this pass. It is necessary to immediately start negotiations to establish a provisional framework for cooperation in the field of marine scientific research to avoid the situation becoming further aggravated in the future.
- Also, the Government of Japan will continue to work sincerely toward an early conclusion of the negotiations on the delimitation of the EEZs between the two States at occasions including the next negotiation scheduled in September.
- The Government of Japan will make efforts from a broader perspective so that this issue does not impair friendly and cooperative relations between Japan and the ROK. The Government of Japan strongly urges the ROK side to deal with this issue prudently and carefully.
Back to Index