Assistance for "Economic and Social Empowerment of Returned Victims of Trafficking" Project
March 15, 2006
- On the 15th of March (Wednesday), the Government of Japan and the United Nations (UN) decided to extend assistance totalling 1,977,116.36 US dollars (approximately 211.55 million yen), through the Trust Fund for Human Security to a project entitled "Economic and Social Empowerment of Returned Victims of Trafficking" that will be implemented by the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- The Kingdom of Thailand and Republic of the Philippines are among the countries facing serious problems of human trafficking and victims confront difficulties upon their repatriation such as reprisals from traffickers and threats of re-trafficking. This project aims to facilitate social re-integration of victims who returned to their countries of origin and help them re-integrate through their economic and social empowerment. The following activities will be implemented;
- Providing immediate and continuous assistance such as legal assistance, psychological counselling and medical services to returned trafficked victims;
- Conducting reintegration assistance programs for victims who returned to their country of origin;
- Empowering victims in order to make them self-sustaining through education, job placement, and small-scale savings and credit schemes;
- Giving opportunities to meet other victims and setting up self-help groups;
- This project is expected to restore the dignity of victims of human trafficking in Thailand and the Philippines as well as to improve their livelihoods.
The Trust Fund for Human Security was established in the United Nations Secretariat in March 1999 at the initiative of the Government of Japan. Since then, total contributions have reached approximately 31.5 billion yen (US$ 279.7 million). The Trust Fund has supported projects from more than 140 UN agencies, each one addressing various threats to human life, livelihood and dignity, from the perspective of human security.
Related Information (The Trust Fund for Human Security)
Related Information (Japan-Thailand Relations)
Related Information (Japan-Philippines Relations)
Back to Index