Additional In-Kind Cooperation of Relief Materials for the Afghan Refugees in Pakistan
October 19, 2001
- On October 19 (Fri), the Government of Japan decided to provide 500 tents (capable of accommodating 5,000 people) to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to assist the international humanitarian relief operations it has been conducting for the Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
- This additional cooperation follows the transport of relief materials to Pakistan by Self- Defense Force aircraft on October 9, and is in response to an additional request made by the UNHCR.
- The tents (produced in Pakistan) will be handed over directly to the UNHCR
sometime next week.
- Together with the previous assistance, the Government of Japan will have provided tents capable of accommodating a total of 8,150 Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
- For further details of the assistance, please see the Embassy of Japan in Pakistan Website.
Back to Index