December 9, 2004
Japanese-German Economic Exchanges
At the Japan-German Summit Meeting, the two leaders agreed that both Governments will do their best to promote economic exchange activities by Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) and local governments of both counties, in order to further promote exchanges of small and medium-sized enterprises in such areas as advanced technology. In this connection, major seminars and economic missions scheduled in the next few years are as follows:
1. Promotion of Investment to Japan
(1) Seminar to promote understanding on Japan
The Consulate-General of Japan in Duesseldorf, JETRO Duesseldorf Center and the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Duesseldorf will be jointly sponsoring a seminar in January 2005 to raise understanding on Japan in the State of North-Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) with themes of "Japan as a tourist destination" and "Investment to Japan".
(2) Explanatory meeting by Fukuoka Prefecture Office in Frankfurt am Main
The meeting will give briefings under the title of "Fukuoka, the production base for 1 million automobiles" in Stuttgart, Baden-Wuerttemberg, and Munich, Babaria, in February 2005 to explain requirements for potential suppliers in northern Kyushu to automobile-related German companies. This meeting is intended to encourage these companies' participation in an economic exchange fair to be held in April or May 2005 in Fukuoka Prefecture.
2. Economic Mission to Kawasaki City
As a part of the LL (Local to Local) projects of JETRO, a mission organized by the Kawasaki-NRW Industrial Exchange Promotion Council plans to visit Kawasaki City, Kanagawa Prefecture, in March 2005 in order to hold a business seminar and business matching program concerning rehabilitation and nursing care technologies.
3. Projects related to "Germany in Japan 2005/2006"
(1) The State of NRW plans to hold a symposium in Nagoya in April 2005 on the environmental medicine, with a main focus on reports by NRW State and Nagoya City on results of their research.
(2) The State of NRW plans to hold a symposium in Kitakyushu in November 2005 to brief the latest information on innovations concerning new energy by companies and scientists in the State of NRW.
(3) The State of NRW will explain, in Tokyo in November 2005, the latest development situations focusing on the technologies in which NRW State is competitive, e.g. energy and environmental technologies, and promote contact and cooperation between Japanese and German companies, universities, cities and regions.
(4) As an exchange program between Kawasaki City and NRW State through the LL (Local to Local) projects of JETRO, a seminar on life-science will be held in Kawasaki City in February 2006.
Based on the agreement on cooperation, concluded through the LL (local to Local) projects of JETRO, the Biocluster Bio Con Valley of the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and the Medical Valley of Mie Prefecture will jointly hold an international conference on Japanese and German Regenerative Medicine in September 2005 at Mie University (with the planned cooperation by JETRO).
Back to Index