AT THE SIGNING OF THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN
JAPAN AND THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
FOR AN ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP
- We, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, Mr. Hirofumi Nakasone and the Minister for Industry and Trade of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, Mr. Vu Huy Hoang, held a meeting in Tokyo on December 25, 2008 and exchanged views on the long-term relationship between the two countries. We are greatly encouraged by the 35th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Viet Nam and satisfied with the impressive progress in the overall relations between the two countries in recent years. On this occasion, we signed the Agreement between Japan and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam for an Economic Partnership (hereinafter referred to as "the Agreement"). We deeply believe that the Agreement will serve as a driving force for promoting the prosperity of our two countries and the international community as a whole.
- On the occasion of the Prime Minister Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung's official visit to Japan in October 2006, Japan and Viet Nam decided to launch official negotiations for the Agreement in "the Japan-Viet Nam Joint Statement Toward a Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity in Asia". Both sides at the time expressed their determination toward the early conclusion of a mutually beneficial and high-level economic partnership agreement in "the Agenda toward a Strategic Partnership between Japan and Viet Nam" - an attachment to "the Joint Statement on the Deepening Relations Between Japan and Viet Nam" that was issued when President of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam Mr. Nguyen Minh Triet paid a State Visit to Japan in November 2007. We believe that, by signing the Agreement, the two countries will advance the bilateral economic relationship to a new stage and that the Agreement will play an important role in establishing a comprehensive economic partnership for the prosperity in Asia.
- The Agreement will strengthen the mutually beneficial economic collaboration between our two countries by facilitating freer flows of goods, services, and investments. Furthermore, it provides cooperative measures for the protection of intellectual property rights, control of anti-competitive activities, improvement of business environment as well as cooperation including through capacity building in the fields of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, trade and investment promotion, small and medium enterprises, human resource management and development, tourism, information and communications technology, environment, and transportation. We are convinced that such economic cooperation will contribute to the economic development of our two countries, promote the well-being of our peoples and expand opportunities and benefits for our business sectors. Reflecting the importance of further cooperation between the two countries, a list of programs and projects on cooperation is attached to this Statement.
- We confirm that both sides will continue to closely cooperate towards the early recognition of Viet Nam's full market economy status.
- We, recognizing that globalization presents many new economic and strategic challenges and opportunities to us, affirm that the Agreement will contribute positively to the achievement of the objectives of the WTO multilateral trading system.
- It gives us great pleasure to witness today the outcome of our joint efforts. We celebrate the signing of the Agreement, which will elevate the bilateral economic relations to a higher plane and bring tangible mutual benefits to the people of the two countries.
December 25, 2008
Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan
|Vu Huy Hoang
Minister for Industry and Trade
of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam
List of Projects and Programs on Cooperation
* The list includes projects which need further consideration and clarification.
1. Supporting industry
- Capacity building and human resources development programs for supporting industry (sharing knowledge and experiences of Japan)
- Facilitation and promotion of Japanese parts/materials producers' investment to Viet Nam
- Program for the enhancement of the linkage between Japanese and Vietnamese enterprises in the area of supporting industry through such a measure as business matching
2. Textile and garment cooperation
- Support for strengthening competitiveness of textile and apparel industry of Viet Nam
- Support for Vietnamese enterprises in exploiting accesses to the Japanese market
3. Sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures
- Joint cooperation for an SPS center project in Viet Nam
- Strengthening the capacities for the field of management of Viet Nam's crop production sector for improving the productivity and quality of crop's products
5. Technical regulations, standards, and conformity assessment procedures
- Project on strengthening the technical infrastructure and capabilities on standards and conformance
6. Human resource management and development
- Technical assistance for the improvement of the national system for skill assessment and accreditation of Viet Nam
- Technical assistance for developing qualification and certification system of nurses and careworkers in Viet Nam
- Assistance to promote the dispatch of Vietnamese students to Japanese nursing schools
- Cooperation for further level-up of Vietnamese IT engineers
Back to Index