Joint Statement by Japan and the People's Republic of China
on the Further Enhancement of Cooperation for Environmental Protection
The Government of Japan and the Government of the People's Republic of China (hereinafter referred to as "both sides"),
Recognizing the regional characteristics and global scale of environmental issues, in particular the urgency and importance of environmental issues in East Asia, and the challenges that both countries face in environmental areas,
Recognizing that in order to resolve environmental issues, in combination with macroeconomic policies for the purpose of social and economic development, it is necessary to consider the issue as a whole and engage in comprehensive coordination,
Adhering to the "Johannesburg Declaration on Sustainable Development" announced at the World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002,
Affirming their conviction that developing cooperation in the area of environmental protection would be in the interests of both countries, that it would aid the construction of a mutually beneficial strategic relationship based on common strategic interests, and would also be advantageous in supporting sustainable development in East Asia and the wider world,
Hereby share the view to further enhance cooperation in the following areas.
- Cooperation will be implemented in enhancement of protection of drinking water reservoir areas, prevention of pollution of rivers, lakes, seas and groundwater, in particular water pollution prevention measures in vital waters including the Bo Hai and Huang Hai regions and the Yangtze basin.
- Cooperation will be implemented to actively promote the concept of a recycling-based economy, with "recycling-based society" model zones being constructed and expanded in such locations as Qingdao. Vigorous efforts will also be implemented to reduce waste volume, and encourage reuse and recycling, as well as research cooperation being implemented on waste collection and standards for reuse and cooperation on a pollution control management system.
- In order to control emissions of air pollutants, in particular the reduction of emissions of sulfur dioxide and prevention of yellow sand, the project for the Establishment of the Monitoring Network for Acid Deposition, Dust and Sandstorm between Japan and China will be implemented effectively, and the results that are anticipated from the Plan will be utilized in regional environmental cooperation. Cooperation and technology transfer will also be implemented for desulfurization and denitration at coal-fired power plants.
- Under the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and its Kyoto Protocol, both sides reaffirm their political resolve to engage in efforts towards the resolution of climate change issues through international cooperation, in accordance with the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities. Both sides will actively participate in the process towards the construction of an effective beyond 2012 framework, based on the principles and regulations set forth in the abovementioned Convention and Protocol. Both sides will strengthen cooperation and consultation and promote working-level cooperation in the Asia-Pacific Partnership for Clean Development and Climate, and both sides will continue to engage in cooperation on the Clean Development Mechanism under the Kyoto Protocol.
- Exchange and cooperation concerning monitoring and management policies of hazardous chemicals, including persistent organic pollutants (POPs), will be jointly implemented, a mechanism for cooperation will be constructed for export-import management, inspection, and quarantine of waste materials, in particular e-waste and hazardous materials. In addition, cooperation will be enhanced on the exchange of information as well as processing and processing technologies, and joint efforts will be made to prevent the illegal transboundary movement of waste materials and drifting marine litter.
- Both sides positively evaluate the important role organizations such as the Japan-China Board of Assistance to Greening Activities have to play in reforestation and greening activities in China. The activities of the abovementioned Committee will be further promoted and supported in the areas of forestation and afforestation, and cooperation will be implemented in sustainable forest management.
- Both sides will actively promote cooperation within mechanisms for regional environmental cooperation, including the Tripartite Environment Ministers Meeting among Japan, China and the Republic of Korea (TEMM), Northeast Asian sub-regional environmental cooperation, Northwest Pacific Action Plan (NOWPAP), Acid Deposition Monitoring Network in East Asia (EANET), and ASEAN+3 to urge sustainable development in the region.
- Confirming that public consciousness on the environment has an important role to play in environmental protection projects, cooperation will be actively developed for awareness raising activities and education on sustainable development and environmental protection. In addition, priority will be placed on efforts to enhance the capacity of persons and organizations involved in disseminating knowledge about environmental science, raising environmental consciousness, and engaging in education and awareness-raising efforts towards environmental issues. Methods for raising awareness and furthering education will also be enhanced.
- The Japan-China Joint Committee on Environmental Protection and Cooperation plays an important role in fostering cooperation in the area of environmental protection between Japan and China, and both sides affirmed that by harnessing this mechanism to further cooperation and dialogue. Positively evaluating the important role played by the Japan-China Comprehensive Forum on Environmental Cooperation, from the base provided by the Forum, representatives from academia, industry and civil society will be encouraged to participate actively in environmental protection cooperation activities. In addition, due respect will be paid to the use and protection of intellectual property rights relating to the exchange and transfer of technology.
- The role played by the Sino-Japan Friendship Center for Environmental Protection as a window and bridge for environmental protection cooperation between Japan and China will be further utilized, and as a platform for the transfer of environmental protection technologies and cooperation between the two countries, transfer of advanced environmental technologies and R&D cooperation will be promoted.
Both sides hereby intend to implement the abovementioned items for cooperation in concrete terms, through further consultation among the relevant bodies of both sides.
Representative of the Government of Japan
Representative of the Government of the People's Republic of China
April 11, 2007
Back to Index