Hokkaido Toyako Summit
1. Main themes at Hokkaido Toyako Summit and Japan's objectives
Environment and Climate Change
- Take initiatives in addressing global environmental issues, in particular, promote discussions at the UN process to create an effective framework beyond 2012
- Following the 'Cool Earth 50' proposed by Japan, G8 agreed that they will consider seriously the decisions made by the European Union, Canada and Japan which include at least a halving of global emissions by 2050 at the G8 Heiligendamm Summit in 2007.
- Japan attaches importance to the following three principles in establishing an effective framework beyond 2012: (1)Participation of all major emitters including developing countries (2)Flexibility and diversity (3)Compatibility between environmental protection and economic growth by utilizing energy conservation and other technologies
- Prime Minister Fukuda presented the 'Cool Earth Promotion Programme' which will be implemented through three parts namely post Kyoto Framework, International Environment Cooperation and Innovation.
- Ahead of the G8 Summit, meetings such as the Ad Hoc Working Group on Long-term Cooperative Action under the UNFCCC, the Major Economies Meeting and the 4th Ministerial Meeting of Gleneagles Dialogue will take place.
- Take initiatives in addressing other important environment issues.
Development and Africa
- Send a message toward achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015
- Japan will promote efforts of the international community towards the achievement of MDGs, given 2008 marks the mid-point of three goals. Health, water and education will be focused upon.
- Build on the outcome of the Fourth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD IV)
- Under the theme of "Towards a Vibrant Africa: Continent of Hope and Opportunity", TICAD IV aims to mobilize knowledge and resources of the international community in order to strengthen the recent positive trends in Africa. Discussions at the G8 Summit will build on the outcome of TICAD IV.
- Discuss issues of concern for the world economy
- In particular, issues of sustained growth of world economy, investment, trade, protection of intellectual property rights, emerging economies and natural resources could be taken on board at the Summit.
Political issues including Non-proliferation
- Send a strong message toward strengthening the non-proliferation regime
- Proliferation of WMD and their delivery means is a serious threat to the international community. Given the seriousness of the nuclear issues of North Korea and Iran, we need to send a strong message toward strengthening the non-proliferation regime.
- Address terrorism and regional issues
- G8 will act resolutely against terrorism. G8 will also discuss regional political issues of international concern at the time of the Summit.
2. Related Theme of the Hokkaido Toyako Summit