Emergency Grant Aid Extended to Palestinians Affected by the Deterioration of the Situation in the Gaza Strip
December 13, 2012
- The Government of Japan decided to extend Emergency Grant Aid of a total of 3.5 million US dollars as assistance to the Palestinians affected by the deterioration of the situation in the Gaza Strip after the recent conflict between Israel and the Palestinian armed groups in Gaza.
- The Government of Japan will implement assistance including the distribution of non-food items and medicines in cooperation with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) and the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF).
- The Government of Japan has been assisting the Palestinian people, totaling 1.3 billion US dollars since 1993 (the largest volume next to the EU and the US). This Emergency Grant Aid is to ensure an environment to maintain the cease-fire between Israel and the Palestinian armed groups, which, in turn, will contribute to the stabilization of the situation in Gaza that is important for the progress of the Middle East Peace process.
- The Government of Japan will actively contribute to the solution of the issue of Middle East Peace in cooperation with relevant countries.
- (* The foregoing is a provisional translation. The date indicated above denotes the date of issue of the original in Japanese.)
Back to Index