Meeting between Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Mr. Goh Chok Tong, Senior Minister of the Republic of Singapore (Outline)
April 21, 2010
- Mr. Goh Chok Tong, Senior Minister of the Republic of Singapore, who is currently visiting Japan to participate in the InterAction Council (OB Summit), held a meeting with Mr. Katsuya Okada, Minister for Foreign Affairs, on April 21 (Wed) from 4:00 pm. The meeting lasted for approximately thirty-five minutes.
- Minister Okada and Senior Minister Goh confirmed the achievements of the OB Summit. Senior Minister Goh expressed his views regarding the issue of Myanmar as well as regarding the ASEAN countries, including his views on the recent situation in Thailand.
- Senior Minister Goh requested that Japan increase its involvement in ASEAN. Minister Okada responded by saying that he would attach even more importance to ASEAN in the future.
- Minister Okada stated that the situation in Myanmar is also important for the unity of ASEAN, and that it is important that the elections will be open and fair.
- In response, Senior Minister Goh stated that, for the ASEAN countries, a realistic response was necessary. He also said that it is important to remain engaged in Myanmar.
Back to Index