Assistance by the United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security project “Sustainable Integration and Recovery in North Ossetia-Alania” in the Russian Federation
May 14, 2007
- On the 14th of May (Monday), the Government of Japan and
the United Nations (UN) decided to extend assistance totalling 3,711,043.03
US dollars (approximately 430.5 million yen), through the Trust Fund for Human
Security to a project entitled “Sustainable Integration and Recovery in North
Ossetia-Alania” that will be implemented by the Office of the United Nations
High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Development Programme
(UNDP), the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the Food and Agriculture
Organization (FAO) in the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania of the Russian Federation.
- Situated in the instable region of North Caucasus in the Russian
Federation, the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania has been faced with challenges
such as continuous conflicts in the region, a large influx of displaced persons
from neighboring republics and widespread poverty. This project aims to improve
integration of displaced persons in the Republic through the following support
- Enhancing capacity to strengthen local NGOs and authorities involved in economic and social recovery and integration of displaced persons by organizing study tours, workshops and community meetings;
- Increasing opportunities to build sustainable livelihoods through enhanced employment opportunities by increasing access to micro-credit and training entrepreneurs;
- Enhancing integration opportunities for the displaced persons by provision of permanent shelter and small-scale quick impact projects.
- This project is expected to empower vulnerable displaced persons
in the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania and facilitate its sustainable social
and economic recovery.
Back to Index