Assistance for Trust Fund for Human Security project "Restoring Livelihoods in Grenada after Hurricanes Ivan and Emily"
December 25, 2006
- On the 22nd of December (Friday), the Government of Japan and the United Nations (UN) decided to extend assistance totalling 1,026,538.3 US dollars (approximately 113.9 million yen), through the Trust Fund for Human Security to a project entitled "Restoring Livelihoods in Grenada after Hurricanes Ivan and Emily" that will be implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Grenada.
- Grenada was struck by Hurricane Ivan in September 2004 and Hurricane Emily in July 2005, which brought about widespread loss of livelihood in the country. This project seeks to mitigate the social impacts of the disaster on the people and enhancing their disaster preparedness by providing them with concrete and sustainable benefits such as new skills and employment options. The following activities will be implemented:
- Assisting farmers and rural households by improving agricultural production, agro-processing and woodcraft industries;
- Improving access to microfinance and business development opportunities and identifying new income-generating opportunities;
- Increasing resilience and capacity of communities to respond and manage disasters through planning, training and awareness raising;
- Expanding the availability and capacity of counselling services for post-disaster trauma;
- Mainstreaming gender considerations in disaster management such as introducing gender sensitivity training to shelter staff.
- This project is expected to enhance sustainable recovery as well as to enhance disaster preparedness in Grenada.
The Trust Fund for Human Security was established in the United Nations Secretariat in March 1999 at the initiative of the Government of Japan. Since then, total contributions have reached approximately 31.5 billion yen (US$ 279.7 million). The Trust Fund has supported projects from more than 160 UN agencies, each one addressing various threats to human life, livelihood and dignity, from the perspective of human security.
Back to Index