Assistance for "Human Security for the Development of Women and Children in Peru" Project
November 20, 2006
- On the 20th of November (Monday), the Government of Japan and the United Nations (UN) decided to extend assistance totalling 2,062,344 US dollars (approximately 233.04 million yen), through the Trust Fund for Human Security to a project entitled "Human Security for the Development of Women and Children in Peru" that will be implemented by the Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)/ the Pan-American Health Organisation (PAHO), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in the Republic of Peru.
- The poverty rate is as high as 78% in the Andean departments of Ayacucho and Apurimac. The impact of poverty on children leads to the high rate of infant and maternal mortality and chronic malnutrition causes unsafe motherhood and underdevelopment of children. This project aims at improving maternal health care, early childhood development and basic education for vulnerable population in the departments. The following activities will be implemented;
- Strengthening health workers through training to improve their knowledge on nutrition, obstetric treatment and reproductive health;
- Strengthening health mechanism at community level through training communal health agents and conducting an advocacy campaign to sensitize community members nutrition, reproductive health and maternal health care as well as early childhood care;
- Improving institutional capacities of health centers to reduce malnutrition of pregnant women and children below three years of age through training of health workers and provision of basic equipment to health centers;
- Providing basic education of good quality for all preschool-age children and school-age children at primary and secondary level;
- Empowering local governments and policy makers for better planning and implementation of social policy in favor of children and women.
- This project is expected to build the capacities of children and women in Peru and improve their well-being and health.
The Trust Fund for Human Security was established in the United Nations Secretariat in March 1999 at the initiative of the Government of Japan. Since then, total contributions have reached approximately 31.5 billion yen (US$ 279.7 million). The Trust Fund has supported more than 160 projects from UN agencies, each one addressing various threats to human life, livelihood and dignity, from the perspective of human security.
Back to Index